15 Sept 2011

Welcome all fellow first time writers

I have to admit, being a first time writer can be really frustrating.
I thought writing a novel was hard, but then I took the next step and realised it is nothing compared to getting your story noticed.
Agencies don't play around and will give you that 'sorry but your project is not what we are looking for right now, but please don't give up.'
Sometimes I wish they could give it to you straight, give a small reason but I guess they are super busy with the ones that did get noticed.
Well to make a long story short I am still searching for that one agency that would just give me that one chance.
My first novel is a paranormal love story (yes, it's got vampires with abilities and even hot steamy sex) some would think that I am a big phony copycat but I really think that my story line is great.
It is just to get that query letter perfect, to draw them in and ask for more.
My biggest problem is exactly doing that. Query letters.
No agency want the same so you really have to do your research well on how they think a query letter should look like and write one from scratch. It takes loads of time and not to mention spending time on the Internet.

That is how I found out that I will never publish my first novel, whom I have spend almost three years writing, sending it to an editor and even thought that I found an agency, only to find out that it was a scam. I was heart broken but determent that I am not going to give up.
So, I wrote a new one and is back to square one. Finding that one agency that will give me a chance and yes it is fiction too that fall under fantasy.
I really hope that this is going to be a the one that is going to get noticed.
If there is anyone out there, please feel free to leave me a comment and maybe we can share our stories that might help other first time writers dreams come true.
I know that someday it will happened for me and hopefully by then I can share the happy news with someone.
Don't give up first time writers and feel free to share your stories, complaints what ever is on your heart to release some of the negativity that makes you want to stop.
Just don't give up!

If you want to learn more about query letters there is an awesome blog created by a couple of agents. One of them is known as the query shark. Although she doesn't cover any fantasy queries, I promise you will learn something about what a query letter should look like.The blog is called confessions of a wondering heart. Please feel free to check it out.

Till later
I.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment